Why study for a Cloud networking certification?

So, why study for a Cloud Networking certification?

So, that was a wake-up call! Just taken my first attempt at the AWS Networking Specialty exam and it was an experience!

I've been saying to my team for some time that in order to really understand the networking within cloud environments, and to get the optimum experience for customers in those environments, you need to really appreciate how applications are deployed, and the elements in AWS and Azure you need to make those applications reliable and scalable,

And if ever I needed confirmation of that, I got it this morning.  The exam has 60 questions for which you're given 3 hours to complete them.  You shouldn't need that, but my goodness, it's tough and just illustrates how the paradigm shift to Cloud highlights what we have known for years - DC (and thus Cloud) networking is all about enabling application flows.

If you're planning on looking into this (and as a networker you should - whether you believe everything is going Cloud or not, hybrid is likely to be the default for most organisations in time) then it's time to really look into and appreciate best practice for app deployment, and the Cloud tooling to make that happen.

In AWS, there are obvious connectivity elements, such as:

  • VPCs, AZs, routing tables, subnets, security groups, Network ACLs;
  • VPN gateways for private connectivity over the Internet;
  • Direct Connect and its associated VIFs for connectivity over private circuits;
  • The transit VPC model with VPNs between VPCs;
  • VPC peering;
  • Internet gateways, NAT gateways and instances

and so on.

But these really mean little until you consider how they might need to be used by the applications being deployed and the interactions that make then happen.  Unless you consider things like:

  • the endpoints users will access applications from and the networks they're attached to;
  • the availability requirements of the applications, and the level of failure you need to protect against;
  • interactions between elements of apps and external services (identity, external data stores, APIs into other applications)
  • how applications might need to be scaled;
  • how mechanisms like DNS, content delivery networking and load balancing will be used to provide scale and availability; 
  • security requirements like ciphers, certificate management, protecting data both at rest and in motion;
  • DDoS, IDS and simple security policy based on identity of users, workloads, IP addressing 
then you are not going to fully appreciate which elements are required to make the most of the Cloud capabilities. In order to progress with this certification, you need to understand certain AWS capabilities inside and out including:
  • EC2, ENIs, EIPs, Lambda;
  • Regions, Availability zones and their limits; 
  • VPCs and subnets, routing tables;
  • Placement Groups and Auto-Scaling;
  • DirectConnect and VGWs;
  • Classic, Network and Application Load Balancers;
  • Security Groups, Network ACLs (similarities and differences);
  • Route 53 and DNS principles;
  • Web Application Firewall;
  • CloudFront;
  • AWS monitoring and telemetry (VPC Flow Logs, CloudWatch, CloudTrail, SNS, 
  • Automation (API, CloudFormation);
  • Gateway and Interface Endpoints
and more! And that's before we start getting into containerisation and the joys that brings!

With being responsible for the underpinnings of all connectivity, network professionals have always had a responsibility to understand the broader IT landscape. Nowhere is that more true than in the Cloud. Get across all of these capabilities and how they are used to build available, secure and scalable apps and you will be ahead of the game when it comes to delivering the network to make it happen!

Yes, I just got my butt kicked by that exam - I'll come back and pass it next time, but as with anything, you need to make sure you learn along the way! Key thing here is to appreciate the broader context and ensure you take it into account in the network design, on-prem or off!

Comments

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is my first visit to your web journal! We are a group of volunteers and new activities in the same specialty. Website gave us helpful data to work.

    https://www.devlinks.ae/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like your post. It is good to see you verbalize from the heart and clarity on this important subject can be easily observed

    Digital marketing Agency Dubai UAE

    ReplyDelete

  5. I wanted to thank you for this excellent read!! I definitely loved every little bit of it. I have you bookmarked your site to check out the new stuff you post.

    Web Development Agency Dubai UAE



    ReplyDelete
  6. If you want to have services for DDoS and Web Application in Abu Dhabi, then Securium Solutions is the best DDoS and Web Application Company in Abu Dhabi.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love to read it,Waiting For More new Update and I Already Read your Recent Post its Great Thanks.
    aws training

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello, I go through your whole content. It was amazingly written and i found it really useful for me...
    please give your precious time to visit my links given below. I want your attention on these topics too.
    Diagnostic Software
    Obd Diagnostic Interface
    Heavy Duty Scanner

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello, I go through your whole content. It was amazingly written and i found it really useful for me...
    please give your precious time to visit my links given below. I want your attention on these topics too.
    Psychiatric Services Atlanta GA
    Counseling Services Atlanta GA
    Atlanta Therapist Services

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello, I really enjoyed your blog. It was amazingly written.
    please give your precious time to visit my links given below. I want your attention on these topics too hope this may help you in best way.
    Home Solar Battery Solutions Nigeria
    PABX Systems Solutions Nigeria
    Electrical Maintenance Services Nigeria
    9 KVA up to 2500 KVA Diesel Generator
    Electrical Engineering Solutions

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ccna training in Banglore
    Thanks for sharing the information about the ccna and keep updating us.This information is really useful to me.

    Ccna classes in Banglore

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wonderful post, I agree - why not just have both? When I wanted to implement my BAS Agent in Australia I had to outsource someone to do it for me, but now I'm creating my own, small IT section ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Stop! Stop! Stop! please stop scrolling now. I love your content it's amazingly written and I want your 1 minute attention for my amazing products. We provide Best Stand up Paddle Board and more Inflatable Board along with these more items:
    Surfboard Supplier
    Paddle Board Manufacturer
    Surfboard Manufacturers
    Standing Paddle Board
    I must say you gonna love them. please have a look once on our official website too

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hello there! I go through your whole content i fin it really useful for me. And i want to share some links of my products
    which you will definitely like. Please visit once by following the links given below
    Carbide Button
    Tungsten Carbide
    Plate

    Carbide Tips
    Tungsten Carbide Inserts
    Tungsten Carbide Bar
    Tungsten Carbide Rod

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hello there! I go through your whole content i fin it really useful for me. And i want to share some links of my products
    which you will definitely like. Please visit once by following the links given below
    Switch socket manufacturer
    Socket factory
    Intelligent switch
    Smart switch

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hello there! I just read your whole content I find it really useful for me. And i want to share some links of my products
    which you will definitely like. Please visit once by following the links given below
    Raincoats Wholesale
    PVC Film Manufacturers
    PVC Printed Film
    PVC Fabric
    Fishing Waders
    Thanks for visiting...

    ReplyDelete
  17. nice article, we are selling realestate propertys at plots in shadnagar

    ReplyDelete
  18. This post is so helpfull and informative.keep updating with more information...
    Swift Programming Languages
    IOS Programming

    ReplyDelete
  19. This post is so helpfull and informative.Keep updating more information...
    Better Spoken English
    Spoken English Coaching Centre

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The CCIE is Dead? Long Live the CCIE!! And CCNA! And CCNP!

Five Design Principles for the Network Architect - Availability